Stand up for the facts!
Our only agenda is to publish the truth so you can be an informed participant in democracy.
We need your help.
I would like to contribute
If Your Time is short
McDonald’s soft serve ice cream, found in the fast-food chain’s cones and other desserts, does not contain xylitol, the company said.
We’re not sure who is thinking about feeding McDonald’s ice cream to their dogs. But in case you know someone who is, a social media post offers this urgent, exclamation-point-filled message:
"WARNING!!! McDonald’s has added Xylitol to their ice cream!!! Xylitol is deadly to dogs!! Do not let your pups eat any type of ice cream from McDonald’s!!" reads an April 13 Facebook post.
But dog owners don’t have to worry too much — it isn’t true.
The post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. (Read more about our partnership with Facebook.)
McDonald’s also dismissed the rumor.
"These claims are false," the company said in an email to PolitiFact. "Our soft serve, found in our cones and other desserts, does not contain xylitol."
This doesn’t mean that regularly giving your dog ice cream is a good idea, however. Pet companies and veterinarians warn that too much can make dogs sick, and some ice cream companies do include toxic ingredients, like xylitol.
Even so, it’s not in McDonald’s ice cream, so we rate this Facebook post False.
Facebook post, April 13, 2022
Web MD, Xylitol - Uses, Side Effects, and More, Accessed April 14, 2022
McDonald’s.com, Desserts & Shakes, Accessed April 14, 2022
Hills Pet, Dogs & Ice Cream: The Scoop on Why You Should Avoid It, Nov. 15, 2019
American Kennel Club, Can Dogs Eat Ice Cream?, Jan. 22, 2021
Email interview, McDonald’s USA press office, April 14, 2022
Read About Our Process
In a world of wild talk and fake news, help us stand up for the facts.